Report an injury

If someone is injured at work, or they become sick because of their work, it should be reported to the employer within 24 hours and the worker should seek immediate medical attention.

A worker should report their injury or illness to the employer whether they intend to make a claim for workers compensation or not. An injury or illness can be reported verbally or in writing. If a worker is unable to make a report, one can be made by a representative such as a family member or friend.

If there is a claim, the employer must contact their insurer or broker as soon as possible via email or phone, within 24 hours, so that the claim can be lodged with the insurer in time. A claim form must be completed and submitted electronically or via fax.

Legislation for lodgement in each state

The legislation for time frames for employers to report workers compensation claims to their insurer varies in each state.

Please see below for state-by-state requirements. An excess will be due and there may an additional premium added upon renewal, if the claim is not lodged within the below time frames:


Employer to Notify Insurer

New South Wales

Within 48 hours


Within 10 calendar days

South Australia

Within 5 calendar days

Western Australia

Within 5 working days


Within 3 working days

Northern Territory

Within 3 working days

Australian Capital Territory

Within 48 hours, lodge form within 7 days


Within 6 months

Register of Injuries

All employers are responsible for maintaining a Register of Injuries. Employers are required to keep a Register of Injuries that is readily accessible in the workplace. The Register of Injuries is a current record of any injuries suffered by workers, whether they result in a claim or not.

Contact Us

At Optimum Insurance Services, we pride ourselves on our fast and efficient claims service. If your insurance is with us and you need to make a claim for whatever reason, you can relax knowing that we will be there to assist you throughout the process. It’s all part of the service.

To notify of a claim click here or if you need advice, call us on 1300 739 861.

Disclaimer – “This material contains general information only and may not suit your particular circumstances. To decide if a policy is right for you please carefully read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and/or Policy wording. While we have exercised due care and skill in preparing this information, Optimum Insurance Services (Optimum) does not accept any legal responsibility or liability for negligence or otherwise to you or anyone else who seeks to rely on this information. This includes, without limitation, loss arising from a possible failure of the information to comply with statutory or regulatory requirements or the failure of the information to identify other terms and conditions beyond those considered in this document. You should obtain advice to ensure that your policy provides adequate cover for your circumstances.

Optimum Insurance Services Pty Ltd is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Insurance Advisernet Australia Pty Ltd (Car No. 291220), Australian Financial Services Licence No 240549, ABN 15 003 886 687.”

Download Our Free Insurance Guides

Business Owners Guide To Risk & Insurance Protection

Business e-book cover

Business Owners Guide to Professional Indemnity Insurance

Professional Indemnity Insurance Guide

Business Owners Guide to General Insurance Claims

Insurance Claims Procedures Guide And Checklists


Optimum Insurance Services Pty Ltd is a Corporate Authorised Representative (No. 291220) of Insurance Advisernet Australia Pty Ltd (AFSL No. 240549).


© Optimum Insurance Services Pty Ltd 2006 - 2021

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This