Property Insurance provides cover for physical loss or damage. Types of claims include Burglary, Small Fires, Business Interruption, Accidental Damage, Malicious Damage, Money Loss and  Glass Breakage.

What to Do

In the event of a claim:

  • Immediately contact your insurance broker or insurer to report the claim and arrange an assessor to be appointed, if required.
  • Return a claim form as soon as practicable (within 7 days).
  • In the event of burglary, malicious damage and/or money loss Immediately report the matter to Police.
  • Retain any damaged property or equipment until otherwise authorised by the insurers.

Remember to:

  • Minimise loss by taking precautions to secure premises or vehicle to prevent further damage.
  • Never admit liability as this is up to your insurers to accept or reject liability.
  • Communication is important and all documentation should be forwarded as quickly as possible after the incident.

Large Property Insurance Claims

What to Do

Following the occurrence of a major loss and the summoning of emergency assistance where appropriate, notify your insurer broker and/or insurer as soon as possible. A loss assessors should be appointed and on site without delay.

The claims management plan is a three phase operation:

  • Immediate post loss phase
  • Rehabilitation phase
  • Settlement phase

Claims Management Plan

Loss Occurrence



Emergency services summoned (Fire Brigade, Ambulance, Police)

·         Fires extinguished

·         Injured taken to Hospital

·         Security protection

·         Interim staffing arrangements

·         Emergency production

·         Reconstruction plans evaluated

·         Certification of completion of repairs

·         Scrutiny of accounts by loss assessors

·         Submission of initial claim on underwriters

Notify your broker

·         Underwriters notified

·         Loss assessors appointed, visit site

·         Architect and engineer plans and specifications

Review of your claim with insurance broker and underwriter/loss assessors

Temporary repairs

·   Dangerous structures made safe

·   Protective hoardings erected

Loss assessors report to underwriters

Agreement on adjustments to claim

Counter disaster plan activated

Tenders called for reconstruction of work

Claims release executed

Staff and workforce informed of effect on operations

Reconstruction work undertaken

Collection of claims expenses for submission to your insurer

Customers and suppliers informed of interruption

Separate accounts for cost allocation

Payment of agreed claim amount (for Business interruption claims)

Emergency alternative production facilities organised

Progress payments authorised through loss assessor


Preliminary plans for rehabilitation

Supervision and advice from insurer broker


Whatever the claim type, you must make sure you notify your claim to your insurer or insurance broker as soon as possible and gather all relevant information at the time of the incident (such as third party details and/or witness details).

It is important that all claims are settled quickly and fairly so as to minimise any disruption to your business. Completing a claim form immediately, or as soon as practicable and submitting the details to your insurer or insurance broker means your claim can be actioned quickly and efficiently and minimising the impact to you.


Business Claims Checklist

Home & Contents Claims Checklist

Landlords Claims Checklist

Contact Us

At Optimum Insurance Services, we pride ourselves on our fast and efficient claims service. If your insurance is with us and you need to make a claim for whatever reason, you can relax knowing that we will be there to assist you throughout the process. It’s all part of the service.

To notify of a claim click here or if you need advice, call us on 1300 739 861.

Disclaimer – “This material contains general information only and may not suit your particular circumstances. To decide if a policy is right for you please carefully read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and/or Policy wording. While we have exercised due care and skill in preparing this information, Optimum Insurance Services (Optimum) does not accept any legal responsibility or liability for negligence or otherwise to you or anyone else who seeks to rely on this information. This includes, without limitation, loss arising from a possible failure of the information to comply with statutory or regulatory requirements or the failure of the information to identify other terms and conditions beyond those considered in this document. You should obtain advice to ensure that your policy provides adequate cover for your circumstances.

Optimum Insurance Services Pty Ltd is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Insurance Advisernet Australia Pty Ltd (Car No. 291220), Australian Financial Services Licence No 240549, ABN 15 003 886 687.”

Download Our Free Insurance Guides

Business Owners Guide To Risk & Insurance Protection

Business e-book cover

Business Owners Guide to Professional Indemnity Insurance

Professional Indemnity Insurance Guide

Business Owners Guide to General Insurance Claims

Insurance Claims Procedures Guide And Checklists


Optimum Insurance Services Pty Ltd is a Corporate Authorised Representative (No. 291220) of Insurance Advisernet Australia Pty Ltd (AFSL No. 240549).


© Optimum Insurance Services Pty Ltd 2006 - 2021

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This